Altomonte’s Butcher Shop uses USDA CHOICE & PRIME all-natural, dry-aged beef. Please cook or freeze within 24-36 hours of purchase. It is recommended that you remove meat from packaging & season it as soon as possible then place in a covered pan with some airflow in the coldest part of refrigerator.
Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Place rib roast in a large heavy roasting pan on rack. Roast may sit out for one hour at room temperature before placing in oven. Rub entire roast, bones too, with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt & fresh ground pepper, fresh rosemary and any herbs you would like.
- Add 2 cup water to bottom of pan. Or for a special treat use 1 cup red wine and 1 cup beef stock.
- Roast for 30 minutes at 500 degrees uncovered.
- After 30 minutes, reduce heat to 275 degrees. Cover and continue to roast until internal temperature (stay away from bone when checking temp) reaches 130 degrees F. Remove from oven, remove from pan, tent with foil and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Optional- to caramelize the top. Allow an extra 5-10 minutes from original cooking time and place back in the oven Uncovered at 500 degrees F.
If making au jus, place the roasting pan on the stove burners over medium-high heat. Add ½ cup red wine and scrape the browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a whisk. Add 1 cups beef stock and season with salt & pepper. Continue to cook until reduced by half, about 5-10 minutes on a steady boil. Strain the au jus through a sieve to remove the solids before serving.