Feel free to mix up the flavors, sometimes I use vanilla & almond extract, sometimes anise oil, sometimes I will grate in orange and lemon zest. Make them your own and make Nonna proud!
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 tablespoons milk
To make the icing, cream together the confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon almond extracts. Beat in 3 tablespoons milk, one tablespoon at a time. Top with sprinkles.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temp
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with wax.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup room temperature butter and white sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon almond extract, 1/4 cup milk and oil.
- Combine the flour and baking powder, stir into the wet mixture.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll the balls out into ropes about 5 inches long. Tie into loose knots and place cookies 1 inch apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 5 minutes on the bottom rack and 5 minutes on the top shelf of the preheated oven, until the bottoms of the cookies are golden brown. When cookies are cool, dip them into the icing.