We had a gathering over at my house one Christmas and received so many panettoni from guests. So one morning I decided to do something different with one of them. This is what I came up with. What I discovered is how diverse it could be. We ended up having it for dessert with a scoop of gelato from our market…Amazing! Or feel free to finish it with a drizzle of your favorite sauce or syrup. As well, my husband and I enjoyed it for breakfast one morning with an espresso.
The possibilities are endless!
- 500 gram Peach & Saffron Panettone (I prefer Fratelli Sicilia)
- 1 pint Whole Milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Saffron Threads
- 1/4 cup White Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup Diced Dried Apricots or Canned Peaches
- Powdered Sugar
- Butter to grease baking dish
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Place cubed panettone in greased oven-proof baking dish
- Sprinkle in chocolate chips and either dried apricots or canned peaches, or both if you wish
- Blend milk, eggs, vanilla, and saffron thoroughly until well brought together. Pour mixture over the top. At this point you can cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Or you can bake right away. It's up to you
- Bake 50-60 minutes until puffy, crisp on the surface, and no liquid remains in the center. You can use a toothpick to pierce the center to check for doneness. If still wet in the center, keep baking until done
- Feel free to push down any panettone cubes with a spoon halfway through baking
- Let cool for 15 minutes and finish with a generous sprinkle of powdered sugar. Enjoy!